Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Final Thank You - A Look Toward the Future

As the bus entered the Stratford Richardson YMCA parking lot late last Saturday, the group buzzed with excitement. Parents and siblings filled the lot and rushed to greet us. Hugs and laughter flowed as the students reunited with loved ones and said quick good-byes to new friends. This is always a very chaotic and bittersweet scene for me. I'd love the time to address the group as a whole and remind them that this end is merely a beginning in the work of our program and in developing their futures. But this is difficult to do in the euphoria of reaching the end of the tour. A couple of students handed me a few notes of gratitude signed by those on the bus. I took a quick peek when I settled into my car for the short trip home. But the message of one of the notes did not sink in until several days later. Below is Breanna Washington's letter . . . . and embedded in this blog is my appreciation for a group of young men and women who strive for the best in themselves and in their world. I look forward to being a part of the future that they will create.

Mr. Mike-

The past 7 days with you and the group have been the most amazing, most memorable days of my life. You have opened my eyes to so much usable history. You have taught me things that I can use for a lifetime. Thank you for all you have done, not only for me, but for the entire group. You have honestly changed the person that I am.

I am so grateful to be experiencing such a "usable past," to build my long awaited future. Everyday I think to myself . . . "wow, he really doesn't have to do this." This was a choice of yours. I am honored that you are working with the youth of the community and teaching them about their civil rights. Whether black, white, hispanic, or asian, we have have equal, civil rights.

Gay, straight, black, white
same struggle, same fight

-Breanna Washington

1 comment:

  1. Awesome ending...Ms Breanna, to piggy back off that big thank you to you Mr Mike, Ms Jessica, all the mentors for your time, hardwork and dedication that you have taken with (my child)our children to open and stimulate their minds learning new history, the struggles and exposing them to new opportunities that alot of young people do not have. I enjoyed hearing from Nevahl the experiences, the people that he came across and the (11) new friends he made throughout the week. This has truly made a difference in his life and how he see's thing. These children experienced a wonderful, empowering journey and this is a memory that will be with them for a lifetime. Thank You Thank You I cant say it enough.

    ReplyDelete