Thursday, June 24, 2010

From the Counselor's Perspective

The group returned safely last Saturday night. And I must admit that it has taken a while to recover from a week on the road--readjusting to a proper diet, better sleep patterns, no bus rides, and the euphoria of the tour itself. But it seemed appropriate to revisit and post a few late offerings to the blog. Below are thoughts from Malachia Pauling, counselor for the youth programs at the Stratford-Richardson YMCA.

from Malachia Pauling

As we left Charlotte [last Sunday], all I could do was look into the face of the teens and wonder how this experience would affect their lives. As the days passed by this week, I watched them as they began to transform from teenagers to young men and women--ready to carry-on the struggle of our ancestors.

Of the sites we visited that really had an impact on me, our day in Selma, AL at the National Voting Rights Museum and the Slavery and Civil War Museum rose to the top. Ms. Afriye We-Kandodis runs the Slavery and Civil War Museum. She said something to the kids that struck me. She told them not to forget the past, but embrace it and use it so that the past does not repeat itself. While at the National Voting Rights Museum, I had the pleasure to meet and speak with Ms. Ann Avery, who was one of the foot soldiers in the March from Selma to Montgomery [in 1965]. She was also beaten on Bloody Sunday. She was 18 years old at the time. Even with the beating days before, she was able to complete the 54 mile march from Selma to Montgomery.

When we arrived in Montgomery, we were able to march up to the Alabama Capitol building [which we were not able to do during last year's trip]. As I walked up the steps of the building, my iPod happened to be playing Marvin Sapp's "Never Would Have Made It." As I looked down from the top of the steps where Dr. King stood and gave his stirring speech to close the march, I could see the masses of people who marched the 54 miles. I felt so much emotion standing there. The song states, "never would have made it without you. I'm stronger, I'm wiser, I am better--much better."

Just down the street form the capitol is where Dr. King lived for 6 years while preaching at the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church. I was given the honor of unlocking and opening the very same door Dr. King opened for those years to enter his home. I am very thankful for this experience [and for being able to participate in this program for a second time]. Everything that you are able to witness on this trip you can't help but feel the spirit, the souls of our ancestors move inside of you--pushing, pulling, and urging you to fight-on. We as a people, as a nation, have come through so much, but the fight is not over yet. We must keep fighting and never give up. This is one reason that this trip is so important to these kids and everyone they may touch.

We all have some mountains to climb in our lives, but form the past we can gain strength, hope, and faith that we will make it to the top. NEVER GIVE UP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment